Monday, November 23, 2009

I walked back home in the cold again.
Somehow the cold didn't seem as cold anymore, but everything else did. Life had taken a turn, or had changed a season, and I wasn't able to recognize it anymore. I felt horrible.

Tears were slowly moving onto my face. Slowly, but surely.

I didn't want to go home. Home reminded me that I had no one tonight. I remembered where I went the last time when I felt like I couldn't go home. I smiled.

I walked to Powell's.

It wasn't closing yet, but it soon would be. It was getting even darker every minute outside. I knew where I wanted to go, so I walked up to the same place. Some people were staring, and some avid shoppers didn't even notice as they were trying to get their last minute gifts done. I wondered at how high of a level of pathetic I had hit.

I reached the top of the stairs, and walked over to my book isle. I was waiting to see the place where Raleigh had once come to rescue me. I turned the corner, and instead of seeing a vacant floor, I saw someone.

He turned
.

I sighed in relief. It was Raleigh. I was almost unsure as to if I was now going crazy in my grief. Was I really seeing him?

"Molly?"

It was him. He was speaking to me. He sat on the floor, at first staring ahead of him. He sat on our spot.
"What are you doing here?"

I smiled. I remembered I had tears on my face, and was almost embarrassed to look at him.
He walked over, almost ran to me. He looked at me in confusion, and took his finger and wiped my cheek.
"Why are you crying, and why are you here on Christmas eve? Don't you have a place to be?"
"Excuse me? I should be asking you the same thing, well, except for the crying part."

I began to laugh through my tears, which probably wasn't very attractive.

"I-I had to come."
He said.
"I couldn't be in London anymore. I knew it was Holiday, but I just had to get away."
"I wish I could of done the same thing."

He looked at me and smiled that smile. Then he motioned his hand over to the spot on the floor.

"Would you like to join me?"
He said it in a matter-of-fact voice, almost like a concierge.
"Huh, yes I think I would."

Then he grabbed my hand. It burned. It burned in an instant warmth. My hands had been freezing, and I didn't even realize it.
We sat down on the hard cement floor. I rested my head on his shoulder.
Then out of no where I started crying harder. I couldn't help it. I had felt so lost tonight until now. I couldn't believe what was happening. I had been rescued again, and I was so grateful, but I felt so undeserving.
"Hey, hey."
Raleigh looked down at me.
"It's okay."
I knew he was wrong, but I still believed him. I really wanted to believe him.
-



We walked back to the town house once the store lights were flickering, and employees were leaving. He was still holding my hand. All the way there we were silent. It seemed as if we didn't need to say anything, and I felt like I couldn't anyway. I led the way, but he walked so close he could of been accused of hovering.

I didn't feel so lost anymore.

When we reached the porch, he asked me for my keys. I suddenly realized I was handing my keys to a complete stranger, well almost anyway. I couldn't believe he was a stranger though, his eyes were warm and sincere, and I didn't feel paranoid when I was with him. He knew me almost. Even if we had only met once. He was there when I needed someone, and maybe he felt the same way about me, for whatever reason.

"Nice place."

He said. He seemed uptight, as if he didn't belong, but I also figured he knew he should stick around for me, for my sake. I felt pathetic again. At this time, I didn't care who was with me. I just needed someone. To my surprise, it wasn't just anyone, it was Raleigh.

I didn't respond to him. I just went over to our sofa and collapsed on it's hard cushions. I could see him staring at me from the corner of my eye.

I thought about John. I wondered if I would become like him, so completely alone. Driven by grief. I started crying again.
Instead of leaving me, or standing around awkwardly, Raleigh slowly came over. He sat down next to my sprawled out body, and took his hands and placed one at my side and then the other through my tangled hair. He did this extremely slow, he wasn't sure if it was okay, but it didn't feel wrong so I said nothing.

"What happened, Molly?"

I was thinking about everything again. I couldn't really find any words.

"Why are you alone on Christmas?"
"Everyone I know has somewhere they need to be. They have someone."
I shrugged.
"Even the soup kitchen didn't want me."

I sobbed. He chuckled a bit. Then put his backhand on the side of my face that was revealed.
"Well, I'm here. If you want me."
"Thank you."

I was grateful.

"How long are you here?"
"Well, for now, I'm here until you tell me to leave."
"Okay."

I needed something form him, but I hesitated. I didn't really care about what I was going to ask, but I wondered if he did. I sat up and looked at him.

"Raleigh?"
He looked back at me. He didn't reply, but instead he grabbed me and held me close. He knew what I wanted without even me having to say it. It was strange how well he knew me, without experience. Was it possible to know someone so well without having time with them?

I cried again. This time harder. I cried until I couldn't anymore, until my breathing had become scarce and my exhaustion had lured me into a sleep.

I felt him pick me up, and a door close. I felt my bed, my warm bed. I felt his hands lay me down, and then lift a blanket over me. I opened my eyes. He smiled at me.

He walked over to the other side of the bed, and laid down next to me over the blankets. I felt his arms slowly go over mine. Then his nose into my hair.

I felt safe. I didn't know how long it would last, but right now,

I didn't care.


No comments:

Post a Comment